Thursday, May 17, 2012

Packing on the Pounds


We continued along the sweet Waterfront Trail in Ontario all the way to Quebec.  Along the way we met a couple at Tim Hortons and the man had previously ridden across Canada.  As such we chatted for a bit and he gave us some tips on the road ahead.  I swear it seems a load of people have done the coast to coast ride or are planning to or want to do it someday.  Or they know someone who has done it. 

Once we entered Quebec it immediately felt like I was in Europe.  Definitely has a European feel to it.  The province really impressed me with its Verte Route which is a route devoted to cyclists.  This made cycling through Quebec so easy and enjoyable.  We did a half day of cycling into Montreal which gave us time to do a little exploring around Old Montreal and the downtown area.  Later in the afternoon we made our way to my uncle Joe’s sister Bluma’s beautiful home in the Westmount area of Montreal.  There we had a delicious dinner made by her housekeeper Lucy.  I ate and ate and ate.  It was great.

I thought once we crossed over into New Brunswick we would be back to speaking and reading English.  Not so.  All the way to Grand Falls was pretty much French speaking.  However, most people I met could speak English as well.

First impressions of the Maritimes have been positive for me.  We have been riding through a lot of forests and I love the smell of wood.  Got good whiffs in Edmundston.  Trevor is always big on feeding off the land so when we were approached by a nice man who told us of fiddleheads to eat he was quite interested.  Unfortunately we would have to cook them and I am not really bothered to do so.  Trevor also suggested eating dandelions but again, those need to be cooked so it isn’t happening.  Ah well.  Definitely two things I would like to try some day.  


Around Picton, ON, we had to cross a tiny portion of Lake Ontario with the ferry.  I enjoyed the ride even though it was only about 500m.

Almost rode over this little guy.  Got to be careful at times…

Me taking a breather outside the Notre Dame Basilica in Montreal. 

In addition to a delicious morning breakfast Bluma put together, she also sent us off with so much food.  Chicken, dried fruit, tomatoes, cucumbers, nuts, strawberries, bread, yogurt, bars and a litre of whole milk. Here I am engulfing the BBQ chicken.  So good. 
Trevor with Michel and Celine.  We first met Michel Beaudoin (http://beaudoinavelo.wordpress.com/) last year in mainland Mexico.  He was riding from Prudoe Bay in Alaska all the way to Tierra del Fuego in Argentina.  Unfortunately his ride was put on hold when he collided with a bus in Peru and then went into a coma for a few hours.  He is now recuperating at his home in Becancour but plans on finishing his ride.  He will continue from the same spot where the incident occurred on the same day this year.  Good on him for not quitting!  We spent the night at his place and again had a delicious dinner and breakfast made by his wife, Celine.  I really liked the maple pie with maple butter… sure hit the sweet tooth.  We talked a lot about the crooked cops we were swindled by in Mexico as he too was approached by cops outside Acapulco (probably the same ones) asking for his camera and saying that he wasn’t allowed to snap photos.  As a former law enforcer, he got away without handing anything over and had them cowering at the end of it! 
The famous Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City.  I got off the saddle for a bit and strolled around the city.  I must say that Quebec City and Montreal are two of my favourite cities in Canada.  Number one though is and always will be Vancouver… can’t beat it.
Man down.  I can be such a dumbass at times.  I was trying to capture the scenic trail we were on by turning on the Go Pro camera.  I wasn’t sure if it was on so I tried to stand up whilst pedaling and look to see if the red light was flashing.  Being the idiot I am and inability to multitask I then fell after riding into a soft patch of gravel.  Lesson learned again, I can’t multitask on a bicycle very well.  

To the bat poles… wasn’t expecting to see a bat en route but sure enough this one here was taking a nap outside the Atlantic Superstore in Grand Falls.

Grand Falls in New Brunswick.  Trevor found these falls more interesting than Niagara. 

No comments:

Post a Comment