Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Waiting Game

My first post!  The original plan was to leave in late June but that has been delayed as we are waiting on the front steel racks which are currently in a warehouse somewhere in Washington State.  We were told today that they should arrive by Monday next week (*fingers crossed*).  Basically once they are put on the bikes we ‘vamos’ the following day. 

Aside from that there has been a lot of lounging around and researching on what lies ahead.  I must admit, I may have underestimated the Americas as they appear to be quite daunting.  My primary concerns at the moment include safety as we’ll be cycling through a few countries where the drug trade is prevalent, how to get from Panama to Colombia (no way we’re going through the Darien Gap!), and the hardcore hills in South America.  Ah well... it will be an adventure to say the least.

Hopefully in my next post we’ll be up and running as I have been raring to go for some time now! 

That is me with the bike that I will get to know very well in the next year or two… the Surly Long Haul Trucker.  

No comments:

Post a Comment