Sunday, August 21, 2011

Stormy Nights

I'll admit it, the times have gotten a lot tougher since we entered Mexico.  We just don't have as many options for eating and drinking like we used to in the good ol' U S of A.  Don't get me wrong, there are more on the mainland versus what we had in Baja but it just isn't what we hoped for.  Seems like we hope for a lot of things but are never lucky.  Also, being in the tropics now the heat is constantly on.  When camping I lay in puddles of my own sweat and it isn't comfortable one bit.  As such, we are staying in hotels more often.

A few other annoyances are the plethora of insects and speed bumps.  We can't standstill for a few seconds without some bug saying hello.  I would love for them all to just piss off.  I really don't understand why they put speed bumps on very crappy roads.  A vehicle has no choice but to slow down because some of the roads we have cycled on have cracks and holes.  So why make things even worse and add a speed bump?!

In other random news, today Trevor pointed out to me a tarantula crossing the road ever so quickly.  I got excited and rushed to get a shot.  But before I could do just that it was squashed by a big SUV.  Argh.   

We spent one night in San Blas.  It is supposed to be an up and coming beach town.  One guy we met said it has the most beautiful bay we would ever see.  I didn't think that was the case.  Anyway, we camped on the beach and were somewhat hit by a storm.  Nothing major but I did get a lot of sand and water in my tent as a result.  And as you can see the next morning we were cycling out in a pool of water.  

The following night was the worst.  The place: Sayulita.   In the middle of the night we were hit hard by a storm.  Basically our tents were in a pool of rain and there was no other choice but to vacate the scene.  As such, I ran out almost knee deep in water and screamed at Trevor to get a move on.  Trevor can be strange at times... not sure why it didn't occur to him that it would probably be best to move shop.  In any event, we hurried to get all our things and move them under shelter.  We lost a few tent pegs and the zipper on my beloved tent that I have used for years is now busted.  I hope I can get it fixed because that tent was awesome.  In the interim, I picked up a cheap tent at Walmart.  
Welcome to Puerto Vallarta!  More like a work in progress.  It seemed like the entire promenade was being reconstructed.  Wasn't too impressed with this place.  The roads especially were horrible to cycle on. 

I watched and listened to this band play on the waterfront in the city we are currently in, Manzanillo.

No comments:

Post a Comment