Monday, August 15, 2011

Tortilla Time

I know it has been awhile since our last post but Baja does not have much in between Ensenada and La Paz.  It is quite remote and desolate.  A lot has happened though.

Once we entered Mexico it started off great with new landscapes and supermarkets like CaliMax.  We were excited.  Then after Ensenada it became tougher with us having to stock up on water and snacks.  A few stretches were very tough like the road in between El Rosario and Catavina or Mulege to Loreto.  Not much for about 100 plus kilometers.

In certain areas the roads were being reconstructed which really annoyed me.  I hate them as they cause a lot of wear and tear on your bike and you have to slow down immensely.

I must admit I am pretty tired of seeing cacti now.  They are cool to look at for the first few days but that was about it.  They kept coming at every turn and didn't stop.  Moreover, it isn't fun stepping on them or rubbing against them like we both did on separate occasions.

We free camped every night in Baja.  Roughed it up big time and it certainly showed.  I don't think I have been so dirty in my life.

Yesterday morning we entered La Paz only to say goodbye and hop on the overnight ferry which took about 17 hours to Mazatlan on the mainland.  That is where we are now and will continue onward tomorrow morning.  I am optimistic there will be more of everything on the mainland.  There has to be!

So many people said don't go to Mexico it is too dangerous.  Here is a picture of me in the war zone called Tijuana.  Around me there were people walking the streets, going into supermarkets to buy groceries, going to work... chaos I tell you.  Chaos.     
Pelicans sitting pretty on a rock along the coast. 

Okay, we made a wrong here.  From Tijuana to Ensenada there is a toll road that only vehicles can go on.  But we ended up taking it for the last quarter or so since we didn't want to take the longer free route and got a bollocking from the military when we had to pass the checkpoint.  Oops, our bad.

A farm that grows cacti.

Our first tacos at a taco stand.  And last.  From here on out we ended up buying our tortillas and filling them with onions, tomatoes and tomato paste.  It is the thing to do in Baja.  Yum.    
This was huge.  Between El Rosario and Catavina there was absolutely nothing and it was blistering hot.  I thought it was an illusion but out before my eyes popped a restaurant and was stocked with a gallon of water.  Best tasting water I have had in a long time.   
Trevor, the human dustbin.  He has stepped up his game and eats and drinks anything he finds on the side of the road.  He constantly looked into garbage cans hoping for something but mostly found plenty of half empty pop bottles on the side of the road which he happily consumed.  Some better than others.  Here was his biggest find.  He found about $20 worth of expired yogurt drinks.  The worst find was when he asked me to pick up a bottle that looked like orange soda but turned out to be urine.  Oh joy.  He does sniff before consuming.  
While Trevor was scrounging in the garbage this car flipped off the road.  One woman messed up her ankle but I think should be okay.  One thing I have noticed whilst cycling is that there are many deaths on the road.  Seems like every few kilometers we pass another memorial.  When cycling we must be extra careful as there isn't much of a shoulder to play with.  You really have to ride the white line.  

I know I got tired of all the cacti but they sure can provide for some decent photo opportunities. 
The sun sets on the cacti.   
The terrain felt at times like a dinosaur was about to jump out.

The heat was on.  I think at times it went over 40 degrees Celsius.  We had to take a break in the heat of the day and just chill somewhere.  Here I am dripping in my own sweat in some abandoned shack on the side of the road.   

Fresh roadkill.  Looks like a Lynx of some sort to me.  Definitely not a house cat.

A sigh of relief.  In a small town called San Ignacio I was attacked by a nervous domestic dog (or at least I think it was).  It bit my leg or at least tried to.  But there was no breakage of skin.  However, I get paranoid and wanted to be super safe so we went to see a doctor in Santa Rosalia.  They examined my leg and said I should be fine and not to worry because the domestic dogs in the area have been vaccinated.  Kind of strange but I went straight in and saw the doctor right away.  Passed all the locals who were waiting patiently and had a translator help me out too.  

All our nights in Baja were spent inland except this one.  It was great being on the beach as it was our first time we touched the ocean on this trip.  Also it gave us a chance to clean our dirty selves and our clothes.  That there on Trevor's shirt is salt he accumulated from sweating like a pig over time.  I was no different.  It was seriously good times taking a dip in the water.  
We arrived in La Paz!  First thing hit up the Walmart.  I love big supermarkets.  

Had a bit of trouble finding the bicycle shop in Mazatlan as they had moved shop.  In any event the owner was very nice and we stocked up on some much needed items.  Also got free t-shirts!  

No comments:

Post a Comment